View All


Elihu Thomson’s Swampscott Home Tour

Saturday, September 24, 2022

Elihu Thomson’s Swampscott Home Tour

Date & Time

Saturday, September 24, 2022

Time Slot(s):

11:30 am to 3:30 pm

Open Doors: 11:30 am – 3:30 pm

Capacity: 20


Visit this beautifully restored Georgian Revival Mansion, built in 1889 by the architect James Kelley for Professor Elihu Thomson. Brought to Lynn by shoe manufacturers to electrify the factories, Thomson was a renowned inventor and scientist who partnered with Thomas Edison to form General Electric. Thomson’s workshop lived in the carriage house, where he developed and held over 700 patents by the time of his death. At the center of the Olmsted Historic District, the building was restored and converted in 1976 into Swampscott’s Town Hall, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.


22 Monument Avenue, Swampscott, MA 01907, USA

22 Monument Avenue, Swampscott, MA 01907, USA


Driving Directions: From Rte-128: to Rte-114 East to 1A South to Swampscott, Left on Elmwood Rd, parking lot on right at the rear of the building.

From the Lynnway: Head north on Rte-1A North. Go around the rotary and continue to Lynn Shore Drive. Left on Monument Ave, around the rotary, 3rd Left on Elmwood Rd, parking lot on left at rear of building Just a few blocks east of the Swampscott Commuter Rail Stop. Walk down Burrill Street, building will be on left just before Monument Ave intersection


Accessible / Wheelchair or stroller accommodating

Fun for Kids

Parking Available

Restrooms Available

Event Category

  • Historic House
  • History
  • Lecture/Talk
  • Walking Tour

2024 Sponsors